TENNESSEE COLONY, Texas (KETK) — Tennessee Colony, a small community in Anderson County northwest of Palestine, has a history that dates back until at least 1847.
People originally from Tennessee settled there and named their community after their home state.
A post office opened in Tennessee Colony in 1852. In the 1880s, it had a bout 200 residents, three churches a school and a cotton gin.
In the 1900s, the population shrank as nearby Palestine grew.
Today, Tennessee Colony is the site of two state prisons. Two historical markers draw attention to a cemetery and its yesteryear economy.