MURCHISON, Texas (KETK) – Murchison is located in northeastern Henderson County on Highway 31 between Brownsboro and Athens.
Before 1880, Murchison was known as Lindsey. It was renamed for T.F. Murchison, a Confederate recruiting officer.
In 1884, Murchison had a post office, a cotton gin and other businesses, a church and even a farmers’ alliance. About 100 people called Murchison home in the mid-1880s.
In 2000, the town had 592 people in 217 households.
Located near Lake Palestine and Cedar Creek Reservoir, the town is often a spot where boating and fishing enthusiasts stop.
- Texas Rep. Dan Crenshaw says he will be temporarily blind for a month after eye surgery
- 19-year-old killed in one-vehicle crash after striking tree, car catching fire in Sabine County
- Brookshire’s extends senior, first responder discounts till early May
- Stimulus checks: What we know about how people are spending the $1,400
- New charges added for suspect in Bryan cabinet store shooting