MINDEN, Texas (KETK) – Minden, a small town on Farm Road 1798 is about 12 miles southeast of Henderson in southeastern Rusk County.
A settler from Minden, Louisiana moved to the area in 1849 and named the new town after his former home.
The original town was a mile east of the current site and moved to its location sometime before 1880.
A post office was opened in 1850 and by 1860, the town had a school, a store and a church.
Minden had a steam cotton gin, three churches and estimated population of 50 in 1884.
The population of Minden fluctuated throughout the years and the town has around 350 people now.
Anyone who wants their small town featured on our show is encouraged to send an email to email@example.com along with pictures and and information on why it should be included.
- Pfizer says COVID vaccine is more than 90% effective in 5- to 11-year-olds
- CBD, convenience stores across Texas surprised by update on DSHS website
- Newsfeed Now: FBI IDs remains of Brian Laundrie; Alec Baldwin discharges prop gun on set killing photography director
- Brian Laundrie’s lawyer lashes out at case conspiracy theories
- Why are flags at half-staff today?