MURCHISON, Texas (KETK) – Murchison is located in northeastern Henderson County on Highway 31 between Brownsboro and Athens.
Before 1880, Murchison was known as Lindsey. It was renamed for T.F. Murchison, a Confederate recruiting officer.
In 1884, Murchison had a post office, a cotton gin and other businesses, a church and even a farmers’ alliance. About 100 people called Murchison home in the mid-1880s.
In 2000, the town had 592 people in 217 households.
Located near Lake Palestine and Cedar Creek Reservoir, the town is often a spot where boating and fishing enthusiasts stop.
- Tyler leads the state in job creation, experts say
- Border authorities refute GOP allegations of ‘rape trees’ rampant in South Texas
- Human smuggling by plane, second attempt this week
- Homicide suspect, daughter killed in shootout with California law enforcement
- Edinburg police standoff ends in fatal shooting