LINDALE, Texas (KETK) – Smith County Sheriff’s Office has determined that the shootings Monday in Lindale were an aggravated assault and suicide.
“It has been determined that George Herndon – 44, shot his wife with a small caliber handgun. Shortly thereafter, he turned the gun onto himself and sustained a fatal gunshot wound to the head.” said the sheriff’s office.
Shortly after this incident occurred, Crime Scene Investigators began collecting and documenting evidence at the scene while Criminal Investigators conducted their investigation. Through their collaborative efforts, it has been determined that this incident involved an aggravated assault and suicide.
“The victim is still hospitalized at this time and is in serious but stable condition. Her name is being withheld until next of kin can be notified,” the statement said.
The shootings occurred Monday morning at a home just north of Lindale in 18500 block on U.S. Highway 69 North.
Paramedics arrived on the scene and treated both victims, but the the man died. The woman was still conscious and was quickly taken to a local hospital for treatment.
- Historic Harmony season comes to an end in state semifinal round
- Carthage is headed to state, Bulldogs beat Glen Rose 42-35
- TJC Apache Belles and Apache Band share stage for inaugural Christmas show
- Deputies: Kidnapped man saved in traffic stop after being held for ransom
- Sports journalist Grant Wahl dies in Qatar, U.S. Soccer confirms