TYLER, Texas (KETK) – The Arlington man accused of murdering the pastor at the Starrville Methodist Church back in January has been found incompetent to stand trial and the case will be put on hold while he receives restorative care.

22-year-old Mytrez Woolen is charged with capital murder along with a slew of other crimes. On January 3, Woolen was allegedly leading police on a chase due to an unrelated incident.

He hid out for the night in the Starrville Methodist Church near Winona. Shortly before Sunday morning services started, he was found by Pastor Mark McWilliams.

Sheriff Larry Smith said at the time that McWilliams drew a pistol on Woolen, but Woolen was allegedly able to get control of the gun and shoot the pastor. His wife was also injured when she fell during the shooting. A second man, Mike Sellars, was shot in the shoulder.

“Numerous people have called me they found out about it and to express their opinions on it,” said Sellars.

During the getaway attempt, Woolen stole a car from the church’s parking lot. With the help of OnStar, authorities were able to track him down and he was arrested later that day.

At a hearing Monday morning over Zoom, 7th District Court Judge Kerry Russell presented the findings from a doctor who examined Woolen and found him unable to face trial. The reason behind his findings was not discussed.

Smith County District Attorney Jacob Putman and lead defense attorney Jeff Hasas both agreed with the findings. Putman said he “had no evidence” to dispute Woolen’s incompetency.

“They’re saying pretty much that they feel the young man is competent he knew what he was doing when he committed these crimes. He alluded to police force well I don’t know how many hours calculated how he was going to get away he’s competent,” Sellars said.

The case will be put on hold while Woolen receives restorative care until he’s deemed competent to face a jury. Russell said that could take six months or even up to a year. A status hearing will be set for June to check on the progress in his care.

Due to Woolen being charged with capital murder, he will need to be cared for at a maximum security facility. Russell said this was the first time in his career that he had a capital murder defendant unable to stand trial due to mental incompetency.

During the hearing, Woolen was constantly rocking back and forth in a chair at the Smith County Jail with his face buried in his hands.

“I think the young man knew exactly what he was doing and I just don’t feel the justice is going in the right way,” said Sellars.

Court records show Woolen was arrested in Tarrant County in 2016. Since he was a juvenile at the time, no further information is available on the arrest.

“Losing Mark is big in everybody’s mind you know I stayed in contact with his wife she’s got serious you know PTSD over the whole incident, she seeking help for it it’s really changed her life forever,” mentioned Sellars.

In 2019, Woolen was arrested in Marshall for burglary and was later sentenced to six years probation along with 300 hours of community service.