LUFKIN, Texas (KETK) – Police identified the man who died in Lufkin early Wednesday morning shortly after police were called to a woman’s home who said he was throwing and breaking things inside.
He was identified as 30-year-old Derrick Wilson of Lufkin. He was pronounced dead at 2:18 p.m. in the emergency room.
The department released a statement saying they went to the home in the 1900 block of Hill Street shortly before 1 a.m.
When officers arrived, the woman had locked him out of the home and police made contact with him at a neighboring home.
Jessica Pebsworth, the communications director for the department, said that Wilson admitted to being intoxicated and “his behavior appeared to be consistent” with being high on PCP.
The suspect already had a warrant out for his arrest. Police took him into custody, but sent him to a hospital first.
Pebsworth wrote that 20 minutes later in an emergency room, Wilson began to have seizures and died just a short time later.
The Texas Rangers have been called in to investigate, which is standard procedure.
- Saturday Forecast: Hot & humid weekend with Saharan dust
- Triple-digit feels like temperatures & more Saharan dust
- Salvation Army holds summer sale to fundraise after being impacted by pandemic
- East Texas schools prepare for classes during pandemic
- Unvaccinated US swimmer sparks debate as Olympics start