UPDATE (3:00 P.M.) – New details from court records reveal that Christopher Wansley confessed to police that he did not know the gun was loaded and he had been smoking marijuana when he shot his cousin.

According to Tyler police, Wansley was arrested for manslaughter over the holiday weekend after his cousin, Davontrious Henderson, was mistakenly shot by Wansley in Tyler when they were playing with the weapon.

An arrest warrant shows that Wansley had bought a .357 revolver from a friend two weeks before the shooting.

Wansley told police that he and Henderson left Studio Movie Grill after a birthday party on the night of July 3. They headed to the apartment of Uriyah Smith after the movie. The warrant did not say how Smith knew them.

Wansley told police they all had been smoking marijuana and played with the revolver. It says that at one point Smith even took photos in the bathroom with it.

He said at some point Henderson must have “put a live round ‘in the head’ of the gun.” Wansley also stated he was unaware Henderson had ever done this.

In the warrant, Wansley confesses that he pulled the trigger and accidentally shot Henderson. He immediately had Smith call 911 and tried to keep him alive until EMS arrived on scene.

The document states that Wansley repeatedly told authorities he “did not mean to do it and that it was an accident.”

Wansley has bonded out of the Smith County Jail on a $250,000 bond. His first court date has not yet been set.

Under Texas law, manslaughter has a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison with a $10,000 fine. Wansley has no prior criminal record.

TYLER, Texas (KETK) – A Jacksonville teenager has been charged with manslaughter after a shooting in Tyler left another teen dead on the Fourth of July.

Tyler police said that around 11:45 p.m. on July 3 they were called out to an apartment at The Arbors on Chimney Rock in south Tyler to reports of gunshots.

Officer Andy Erbaugh said that 17-year-old Christopher Wansley and two other teens were playing with a gun. Wansley shot another 17-year-old in the chest after handling the gun “recklessly,” according to Erbaugh.

The teen was taken to UT Health East Texas in Tyler where he later died from his wounds. Wansley was booked on a manslaughter charge. The victim’s name was not released by Tyler PD and Erbaugh could not say whether there was a parent inside at the time of the shooting.

He has since been released after posting a $250,000 bond. His first court date has yet been set.

Editor’s Note: The original story stated that Christopher Wansley was from Tyler. Official records show that he is actually a Jacksonville native. The story has been corrected.