12:07 p.m.

Near the end of his morning testimony, Rasberry was asked by Putman if he had ever been pressured by CHRISTUS to tell his story a certain way or try to influence his testimony.

Rasberry replied the hospital had not. Judge Jackson dismissed the jury for their lunch break.

Testimony will continue with Rasberry at 1:30 p.m.

11:48 a.m.

Putman asks Rasberry if he has ever had patients crash as quickly as Greenway and Kalina before. He said, “No.”

Davis was suspended after Mr. Kalina’s sudden crash. Putman asks if there has ever been another sudden crash of a patient’s health in the cardiac ICU that was similar to either Greenway or Kalina. Rasberry again says, “No.”

11:35 a.m.

Phillip Hayes has passed questioning of Rasberry back to DA Jacob Putman.

11:20 a.m.

Hayes asks Mr. Rasberry if he had actually seen Mr. Davis before Mr. Kalina’s health deteriorated. He was checking to see if Davis even had an opportunity to tell Rasberry he had gone in the room before the alarm went off.

Hayes: Had you actually seen Mr. Davis before everything went downhill with Mr. Kalina?

Rasberry: No

Hayes: So you don’t know if he would’ve told you next time he saw you?

Rasberry: Correct.

11:00 a.m.

Defense attorney Hayes showing Rasberry the medical charts for Greenway from that August night. There appears to be no writing of Greenway’s neurological status at 11 p.m. Rasberry said he had been checking every four hours, but it’s not on the paper.

Rasberry says he does remember that night though that Greenway was fine at that time. Hayes says he believes Rasberry is a “very conscientious nurse” but for some reason it’s not on the chart.

10:45 a.m

Testimony has resumed from the break. Defense attorney Phillip Hayes is now questioning Ben Rasberry, a nurse at CHRISTUS in the cardiac ICU wing.

10:25 a.m.

Davis had been in the room just minutes before and did not tell anyone, even when Kalina crashed. Rasberry said if he himself had been in the room last and then a patient crashed, he would tell other nurses ASAP. He said he is very particular about others coming in his room.

DA Putman has ended his questioning of Rasberry and Judge Jackson has allowed a 15-minute break.

10:10 a.m.

Kalina’s blood pressure dropped from mid-80s just before 1 a.m. to the mid-40s around 20 minutes later.
An alarm went off in his room on his monitor. Rasberry came into the room with a team of nurses and could not wake him up.

Rasberry testifies that he had no idea what would have caused such a sudden drop for a patient who was fine just 20 minutes earlier when he checked on him.

9:55 a.m.

Putman is now asking Rasberry about the second victim in the case Joseph Kalina. He was treated at CHRISTUS January 24-25, 2018.

9:40 a.m.

Rasberry left for lunch at 3:15 a.m. for Whataburger and there was nothing wrong with Greenway when he left. He left William Davis in charge with Greenway when he left. After returning 20 minutes later, Greenway was crashing.

Rasberry said he couldn’t believe what had happened and felt he let everyone down.”

9:30 a.m.

Rasberry worked with Davis for 3-4 years on the night shift. While Davis talked a lot around the ICU floor more than Rasberry wanted him to, he said “I trusted him to take care of my patients.”

9:20 a.m.

Rasberry says he did a neurological check on Greenway at 7 p.m. that night and there was no cause for concern about a potential stroke.

9:10 a.m.

DA Jacob Putman now asking specific questions to Rasberry about Christopher Greenway’s night at the hospital after his heart surgery on August 3-4, 2017.

9:05 a.m.

Rasberry is describing the duties of a nightside nurse in the cardiac ICU wing, particularly on just the first night after heart surgery.

8:40 a.m.

The second day of testimony has begun. The first witness of the day for the prosecution is Ben Rasberry, a nurse at CHRISTUS in the cardiac ICU wing.

Original Story

TYLER, Texas (KETK) – Tuesday saw one of the most anticipated trials in recent memory in East Texas finally get underway after years of delays.

37-year-old William Davis is charged with capital murder in the deaths of four patients at the CHRISTUS Trinity Mother Frances Louis and Peaches Owen Heart Hospital between 2017 and 2018. He is accused of blowing air into the arterial lines of patients, causing significant brain damage.

Day two will begin at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 114th District Court with Judge Austin Jackson presiding. His staff believes the trial will last at least one month.

Smith County District Attorney Jacob Putman said in his opening statement that Davis carried out a plan intentionally and that “A hospital is the perfect place for a serial killer to hide.”

Lead defense attorney Phillip Hayes countered by saying there was no motive for Davis to commit the murders and that he was well-respected by his co-workers. He also asked the jury to keep an open mind.

One of the first witnesses called on Tuesday by Putman was Donna Bedford, the wife of Christopher Greenway, who was the first victim.

Greenway had originally been scheduled for bypass surgery, but due to a large amount of blockage had to be switched to an open-heart procedure.

Bedford said she had been warned by nurses and friends who had witnessed the procedure that Greenway “would not look good” immediately after the surgery. However, Bedford said he “looked fantastic.”

Greenway was talking and joking with her along with the nurses. Due to hospital policy, Bedford was not permitted to stay the night following his surgery, but promised to be back the next day.

Early the next morning, Bedford received a call saying to come to the hospital as soon as possible because something had happened with Greenway.

“He was 100% different. Couldn’t communicate. Just laying there.”

Donna Bedford, wife of christopher greenway

Three days later, he was pulled off life support so that his organs could be donated. Greenway had flown combat missions as a helicopter pilot. After being discharged, he flew helicopters for hospital systems to transport donated organs to patients that needed them.

A CT scan revealed that Greenway suffered massive brain damage from air that had made its way to the top of his skull. The anesthesiologist from his surgery, Dr. Norman Sulser testified that he was “devastated” when he saw the scans and had never seen anything like it in his 37-year career.

Sulser said that Greenway had a perfect surgery and had been talking with hospital staff after the procedure. When asked if Greenway would have woken up if the air had gotten into his brain during surgery, Sulser replied, “Absolutely not.”