LUFKIN, Texas (KETK) – 10-year-old Diego Velasquez was injured after being hit by a car Sunday morning while walking back from buying a Mother’s Day gift in Lufkin.
Diego told officers that his mother did not know that he left his home on Church Street because he wanted to surprise his mother with a card and candy for Mother’s Day.
He made the purchase at Dollar General in Chestnut Village and was crossing the street to go to his nearby home when he was side-swiped in the outside lane by a northbound Chevy Malibu.
Diego suffered an open, compound fracture in his leg and was taken to a local hospital. He was later transferred to Texas Children’s Hospital in Houston where he underwent surgery, according to his father, Santos Velasquez.
The driver told officers that he did not see the boy until it was too late. He said he attempted to swerve but was unable to prevent an impact. Police say that because the vehicle had the right of way, the driver will not be cited.
A husband and wife duo witnessed the accident and stopped to help. After Diego told him his address, the man went to Diego’s home and told his family what happened while the wife stayed behind with Diego.
Diego’s mother, Yanira, is by his side as he recovers.
Police say that several people have asked how to help Diego and his family. Diego’s sister, Jacquelinne, set up a GoFundMe to help with medical expenses.
“Please say a prayer for a speedy recovery for this thoughtful young man,” Lufkin Communications Director Jessica Pebsworth said. “We ask that you send some thoughts and prayers his mother’s way as well.”
- This Buc-ee’s store in Texas won’t hold world’s largest title after new location is built in Tennessee
- McAfee antivirus software creator dead in Spanish prison
- Gov. Abbott says VP Harris should focus on Texans at border facing crime from illegal immigrants
- East Texas man charged in Capitol riot files motion to remove GPS monitoring while he’s on bond
- Broughton Rec Center in Longview closed for renovations