SMITH COUNTY, Texas (KETK)- An 18-year-old man died after colliding with a trailer in Smith County.
The Department of Public Safety shared the following press release.
On July 22, 2021 at 12:11 AM, DPS Troopers responded to a two vehicle fatal crash on FM-2015 approximately three miles north of the city of Tyler in Smith County. The investigators preliminary report indicates that the driver of a 2016 Toyota Tacoma towing a trailer had exited off of eastbound IH-20 and was crossing FM-2015 to reenter the interstate eastbound. At the same time, the driver of a 2001 Suzuki motorcycle was traveling north on FM-2015 and struck the back right side of the towed trailer. The driver of the motorcycle was identified as Christopher Gatlin, 18, of Tyler. Gatlin was pronounced at the scene by Judge Meredith and was taken to Lighthouse Funeral Home in Tyler. The driver of the Toyota was identified as Cristian Nino, 29, of Laredo. Nino was not shown to be injured.
Gatlin was about to start his senior year in high school at Winona ISD.
The district shared their condolences on July 22.
“Winona ISD is heartbroken by the loss of one of our students today,” said the superintendent, Damenion Miller.
Counselors were also made available to students and staff.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends during this difficult time,” added the district.
- Texas doctor says he performed abortion after 6 weeks to challenge state’s restrictive law
- Monday Morning Forecast: Cold front on the way
- Pfizer says its COVID-19 vaccine works in children ages 5 to 11
- Jalen Hale: CHRISTUS Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Institute Athlete of the Week
- Greenberg Smoked Turkeys Inc. gear up for holiday season less than 1 year after devastating fire