TYLER, Texas (KETK) – The 12-year-old half-brother of a 6-year-old boy who died after being pulled from the bathtub of a Tyler motel has been charged with a crime in connection with the child’s death.
On April 15, someone at the Town House Motel, 2420 E. Gentry Parkway, called 911 about 5 p.m. to report a disturbance in a nearby room, according to Tyler PD information officer Andy Erbaugh.
When police arrived, the child had been removed by family members from the bathtub and was unresponsive. The child was rushed to the hospital. Police initially said the child was in critical condition.
As of April 16, detectives were questioning adults who were present.
The child was then transported to Dallas Children’s Hospital. Five days later on April 20, he was removed from life support and died.
On Thursday, April 22, Tyler Police detectives took the 12-year-old into custody and charged him with manslaughter, a second degree felony. He was transported to the Juvenile Attention Center in Tyler.
The younger child’s body has been sent for autopsy at Southwest Forensics in Dallas.
This case will now be filed with the Smith County District Attorney’s Office.
The identity of the child and the family members have not been released.
- Man charged for deaths in San Antonio smuggling incident arrested in Palestine
- How East Texans can protect their home against wildfires
- East Texas first responders notice increase in fires during drought-like conditions
- Monkeypox: How the White House plans to control outbreak
- NEAL’S POV: Prayer on the football field