RUSK COUNTY, Texas (KETK) – Officials identified the pilot who died in the single-engine plane crash in Rusk County.
Officials identified the man was 74-year-old William James Weatherspoon, of Longview, who crashed his plane between Tatum and Easton on County Road 2194 on April 19, Monday afternoon.
First responders received a call about the incident around 2:20 p.m. on April 19. According to the Rusk County Office of Emergency Management, Weatherspoon took the plane out for a maintenance flight.
Several sheriff’s units, Highway Patrol, and VFD units arrived on scene. The crash site fire was extinguished and the scene was closed off until the Federal Aviation Administration could arrive.
- Kerry Strong leaves Big Sandy to coach at his alma mater Spring Hill
- High lumber prices are affecting East Texans hoping to build homes
- 11 Longview ISD educators have salaries of more than $100,000 as more teachers qualify for incentive pay
- Guardsman finds gym bag filled with guns near Texas-Mexico border
- Martin’s Mill’s Mia Nixon captures 2nd straight state golf title