An arrest warrant affidavit for Gustavo Zavala-Garcia has revealed more details and a better timeline in the death of 10-year-old Kayla Gomez.

According to the arrest affidavit, on November 1 at 7:30 p.m., Kayla Gomez-Orozco disappeared from the Bullard First Assembly Church off the 51000 block of Highway 69 in Bullard. Witnesses reported the child was last seen walking from church’s sanctuary and into the lobby.

Authorities interviewed family members of the victim and were able to identify an uncle of the child as a suspect. He was identified by a Mexico ID card as Zavala.

Investigators reported Zavala said he left his home at 6:55 p.m. and arrived at the church at around 7:00 p.m. with his 3-year-old daughter in tow. He then claimed to worship for 30 minutes and left with his daughter, stated court documents. Zavala also allegedly said he victim was sitting in a lobby chair at this time.

His departure was captured on surveillance video.

Video surveillance of the area, shows Suspected Parties vehicle, a black 2006 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck (Texas LP# ——–), pulling out of the driveway at 19:35 hours.

The suspect told investigators he arrived home at 7:35 p.m. Zavala said minutes later his wife received a phone call from the mother of Kayla, who was asking if Zavala had seen her daughter, the affidavit stated.

The arrest warrant mentions a church member who saw the suspect, his daughter and the victim together, shortly before Kayla vanished.

Information from church member (name) revealed Suspected Party, his 3-year-old daughter, and Victim were observed walking out of the sanctuary. (Church member name) was entering the front lobby of the church when the aforementioned three persons were exiting. 

The suspect later told a member of the church that Kayla had gone back inside and sat in a chair, stated the affidavit. The child was discovered missing between 7:51-7:55 p.m. Authorities believe the suspect took Kayla with him in his vehicle from the church.

When detectives spoke with Zavala’s wife, she said her husband returned home at exactly 8:04 p.m. She recalled the time because she had just learned Kayla was missing. This left a 30 minute discrepancy from what Zavala had told officials, according to the affidavit.

Authorities received additional information that the suspect sometimes watched the victim in the playroom at the church.

The FBI was able to track cellphone data from his phone to determine Zavala’s movements on the night Kayla disappeared. Cell tower tracking revealed the phone traveling in a northerly direction on Highway 69 from 7:40 p.m. and arriving at his home at 7:47 p.m., according to documents. The unaccounted 17 minutes are believed to be the time Zavala put Kayla in his well outside the home, according to the affidavit.

On November 5 during a consented search, authorities found what they believed to be Kayla’s body in a concrete well outside the suspect’s. home. At this time, the scene was secured and the suspect’s family was taken to another location.

During a polygraph test, the suspect allegedly admitted to causing Kayla’s death, but he then recanted his answer.

A capital murder warrant for the arrest of Zavala was signed by Judge Jack Skeen on November 6.

Zavala is currently being held in the Smith Count Jail on $10 million bond.