SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – Police say the suspect in the murder of a man whose body was found outside a Shreveport bar early Friday morning crashed his motorcycle and died while fleeing the scene.

According to SPD, investigators developed 30-year-old William Colby Sirman of Keithville as a suspect in the slaying of 61-year-old Michael P. Grace of Chandler, Texas. Grace was found behind a dumpster outside a Youree Drive bar just before 2 a.m. by a bartender who was taking out the trash.

The bartender told police a man was standing over the victim as he lay on the ground. The man reportedly told her to go back inside before leaving on a motorcycle. After he left, the bartender went back out to check on the victim and called police.

Police say Grace had suffered severe head trauma and was pronounced dead at the scene. The coroner’s office says his cause of death has not been determined. An autopsy has been ordered.

Police say detectives canvassed the area and spoke with witnesses, and Crime Scene investigators collected evidence, including video surveillance footage.

Just after 9:45 a.m., the owner of a nearby property found Sirman’s body in a drainage ditch near the intersection of Kings and Creswell. Surveillance video showed Sirman riding his motorcycle into the intersection of Kings Highway and Creswell Avenue at a very high rate of speed just after 2:05 a.m. Police say he was unable to navigate the curve and left the roadway and came to rest in the drainage ditch. Based on evidence collected, detectives believe that Sirman lost control of his motorcycle while fleeing the scene of the homicide.

SPD says investigators are still working to determine the motive for the deadly encounter.

According to the coroner’s office, Grace’s killing is the first homicide in Shreveport since November 22.

As part of the investigation, a spokesperson for the police department says they arrested a retired Shreveport police officer that they believe had direct knowledge of the incident. Jason Brook, 50, was questioned by investigators and later booked into the Shreveport City Jail on one count of Failure to Report a Felony.