Editors note: The above video was put in the story before the identities were released. An updated version will be on this story later today.
LUFKIN, Texas (KETK) – The city of Lufkin released the identities of the victims of an early Sunday morning crash.
18-year-old Natalie Chavez of Lufkin died at the scene of the crash after being thrown from the vehicle. One other passenger, 20-year-old Ricardo Solis, is in critical condition and two others are hospitalized.
Police said the Dodge Charger contained five people inside the vehicle. It was driven by 19-year-old Robert Cavazos of Diboll. Passengers in the vehicle included 19-year-old Jaylon Jackson, 20-year-old Ricardo Solis Jr., and 19-year-old Angel Sanchez and 18-year-old Natalie Chavez all of Lufkin.
Police officers responded to the crash in the 900 block of Moffett Road by the entrance of Kit McConnico Park.
Officials said they were leaving the park at a high speed and that the driver lost control, hit a tree and rolled the vehicle.
All three backseat passengers were ejected. None of them are believed to have been wearing seat belts, according to officials.
Cavazos and Sanchez are expected to recover, and the front seat passenger, Jaylon Jackson, was wearing a seatbelt and did not require medical transport.
Lufkin police said that the crash remains under investigation.
- TJC rallies past North Arkansas to lead off postseason
- How to get a $50 discount on your broadband bill
- Upshur County Sheriff’s Office to hold open house May 18
- VAX FACTS: Jarvis Christian College offering Pfizer vaccines to the public next week
- East Texans join lawsuit against Symmetry Energy for high natural gas prices during winter storm