Man escapes house fire in Tyler Thursday afternoon

Local News

TYLER, Texas (KETK) – A house caught fire in Tyler on Thursday.

A structure fire was reported to first responders at 609 Top Hill Drive in Tyler around 12:40 p.m. Thursday.

At the time of the fire, one man was in the house. First responders said he described waking up to what he called a “popping sound” coming from the kitchen. He left the house and was outside when the first fire units got there.

According to Fire Marshal Paul Findley, cooking oil was left unattended on an electric glass top range and ignited, spreading to nearby combustibles.

The fire was “fairly advanced” when firefighters got to the residence.

The occupant of the house did seem to inhale some smoke, but is being checked out by EMS at the scene.

Tyler Fire Marshal Paul Findley said that investigators are in the home gathering information and more details should be available shortly.

He said at this time there is no indication that the fire is from a suspicious cause.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Right Now

Don't Miss

Community Calendar

KETK Twitter & Facebook

FOX51 Twitter & Facebook