RUSK COUNTY, Texas (KETK) – A 60-year-old white male has been life-flighted to an LSU hospital in Shreveport after being shocked.
He was climbing a pole allegedly trying to steal copper from an electrical line, according to Rusk County officials. As a result, this incident was accompanied by a fire.
The incident occurred on County Road 4117 in Rusk County near Turnertown.
According to Rusk County Sheriff Johnwayne Valdez, the man allegedly tried to take copper from a neutral line but electricity jumped from the hot line to the neutral line and launched him from the pole.
KETK spoke with Chris Denison, Carlisle Volunteer Fire Department Chief.
“Well at approximately 1 p.m., we received a call that a subject had been electrocuted and that there was a large fire and that’s all we had to go on at the time,” said Denison. “When we got to the scene, we realized that we did a have a man down and he did have burns… he was life flighted from the scene and we were able to get the fire under control.”
Denison said that upon their arrival, the man was unconscious near a power line.
He advised the public to never mess with power lines whether they are on on the ground or in the air. “Don’t ever touch them, don’t ever come near them,” said Denison.
“If that thought ever crossed your mind, do not do it. It is extremely dangerous and it is almost always fatal. I would say do not mess with power lines at all whatsoever,” said Denison.
The man is expected to survive following the incident and his identity has not been released yet.
This is a developing story. KETK is working to get you the latest information.