UPDATE (12/22) – A preliminary investigation into a mobile home fire in Whitehouse revealed a heat lamp could have been the cause.

The fire displaced residents and caused the death of a dog that was in the double-wide trailer in the 16500 block of Lakeview Circle. Residents were not at home at the time of the fire, authorities said.

According to Interim Smith County Fire Marshal Chad Hogue, the fire originated on the front porch of the home where a clamp-style heat lamp was being used for outdoor animals.

The fire destroyed roughly 70% of the house, authorities said. Red Cross was called to assist the homeowners.

“When using a clamp-style heating lamp, always make sure it is securely attached and maintain at least 3 feet of clearance from anything that could burn,” Hogue said.

Hogue shared some tips on heating your home as we brace for a few freezing days ahead:

  • Make sure Christmas trees and/or furniture are not blocking an exit.
  • Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a space heater) into an electrical outlet at a time and never use an extension cord.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, and radiator or space heaters.
  • Never use an oven or stovetop to heat your home.
  • Be sure to have a properly mounted and functioning smoke alarm in every sleeping room and hallway of your home.
  • Have at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home.
Photo courtesy of Smith County


Want the latest news as it breaks? Sign up for KETK’s breaking news emails and you’ll always be in the loop.