SMITH COUNTY, Texas (KETK) – Smith County officials said that a carbon monoxide leak sent two sheriff’s office employees to the hospital.

Smith County Sheriff’s Office Public Information Officer Larry Christian said the leak at the central jail was responded to by Tyler Fire Department around 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday.

Christian said that one officer was transported to UT Health Tyler, treated over night and released on Thursday. Another officer was taken to the hospital and released on the same day.

Smith County Sheriff Larry Smith said the carbon monoxide leak came from a boiler. According to Christian, no inmates were injured in the course of the leak, which has since been repaired.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, carbon monoxide poisoning hospitalizes more 14,000 people per year in the United States.


Stay up-to-date with the latest local news, sports, weather, politics and more using the KETK mobile app on Android and iPhone.