ATHENS, Texas (KETK) – A trial date has been set for an 81-year-old Athens ISD bus driver charged for a student’s death.
John Stevens appeared in court on Thursday where his trial date was set. The jury trial is scheduled for Jan. 22, 2022.
The process to setting a trial date for Stevens has been not an easy one.
A prosecutor from the Texas Attorney General’s office failed to appear at a status hearing in August, delaying the case further. The case had been handed to the AG’s office after the Henderson District Attorney Office recused themselves for a “conflict of interest.”
The collision happened in January 2019. According to the investigation report, two children were on board the bus when it collided with a Union Pacific train. The train pushed the bus one quarter of a mile before coming to a stop.
- SFA runs over Mississippi Valley State at home
- TJC wins second straight game at home
- Del Rio a ‘flashpoint’ in immigration crisis where troopers are being surged
- 23 cats die after fire breaks out at Florida animal shelter
- ‘Birds were everywhere’: Hundreds of migrating songbirds crash into NYC skyscrapers