TYBEE ISLAND, Ga. (WSAV) — A teenage swimmer has died after being struck by lightning on Tybee Island.
According to the city of Tybee Island, a 15-year-old swimmer from Alabama was struck by lightning around 3:30 p.m. Saturday. The incident occurred in the water near 17th Street, the city said.
The area is not monitored by lifeguards, according to WSAV. The teen was transported to a hospital and was pronounced dead.
“The men and women of the City of Tybee Island are deeply saddened by the loss of this young woman and our hearts remain with her family and friends,” the city said.
- Warrant: FBI agent exposed himself to multiple Tyler teens
- Groveton PD chief encouraging people to store away firearms, use gun locks after child shoots self
- Keto diets are a ‘disease-promoting disaster,’ researchers warn
- Man arrested after body found in shallow grave in Van Zandt County
- Athlete excited to represent US for karate’s debut in Olympics