According to the City of Kannapolis, Sgt. Dot Cole is the oldest living Marine.
She joined the Marine Corps during World War II in 1943.
Sgt. Cole completed her training at Camp Lejeune and was then stationed at Quantico. City officials say she primarily served in an administrative role.
Last month, another North Carolina woman celebrated a monumental birthday. Hester Ford turned 116, making her the oldest living person in the United States.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Crews responding to fire in Longview neighborhood
- Want to win over your Halloween boo? Try a funny costume
- JOB ALERT: Arnold Transportation needs class-A regional drivers
- Pope endorses civil union law for same-sex couples
- JOB ALERT: UT Health seeks experienced Registered Nurse