AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin police and SWAT are responding to a possible barricaded person in central Austin Tuesday afternoon. The situation is still active as of 11:00 p.m.
The Austin Police Department said the call came in at about 4:29 p.m. for the area near West 35th Street and Jackson Avenue. That’s near MoPac.
Police said the person barricaded inside might be armed. A perimeter was set up.
APD gave an update Tuesday night at about 8 p.m., saying the situation was unfolding at a “commercial building.” The department said some people in the area were evacuated. They did not give any information on how many people were involved in the incident.
KXAN crews on scene report SWAT was seen giving commands over a loud speaker to the barricaded person.
For now, it’s an active and ongoing scene, and APD is asking people to avoid the area.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
- Gas smell throughout Jacksonville due to chemical issue
- Dozens of newly released migrants test positive for virus; ‘Hundreds’ of border agents are South Texas-bound
- Texas businesses must decide whether to require face masks. Some worry they could lose customers either way.
- Where are the fattest cities in America?
- JOB ALERT: Patterson VW in Tyler needs a parts sales associate