NEW CHAPEL HILL, Texas (KETK) — Smith County Road 220, just east of New Chapel Hill, will close beginning Wednesday so workers can repair a culvert.
The work is expected to take seven to 10 days, depending on the amount of damage to the culvert, County Engineer Frank Davis said.
A portion of the road collapsed, causing the road and large concrete culvert to need repairs.
“This was not the result of one rain event. Water flow in the creek over the past several months has undermined the box culvert and developed a void in the roadway, causing the road to settle,” Smith County Engineer Frank Davis, said.
The road closure affects County Road 220, to through traffic between CR 289 and CR 2298. Drivers will need to take alternative routes.
- Biden on Afghanistan: ‘Time to end America’s longest war’
- White Claw launching high-alcohol hard seltzer for summer
- Sheriff: ‘Our resources, our assets are stretched thin’ by migrant smuggling from South Texas border
- 5,200 tons of cosmic dust fall to Earth each year
- NFL to restrict employees who refuse COVID-19 vaccine without ‘bona fide’ grounds