Manchester City, Leyton Orient report new virus cases

Sports

LONDON (AP)The fourth-division team scheduled to host Tottenham in the English League Cup reported several coronavirus cases among its players on Monday, and a Manchester City player also tested positive.

Leyton Orient closed its stadium and training grounds after ”a number of our first-team squad” tested positive, the London club said on Monday. Orient is scheduled to face Tottenham on Tuesday.

There was no immediate comment from Tottenham, which picked up its first Premier League points on Sunday in beating Southampton 5-2.

Leyton Orient said it informed its recent League Two opponents and Tottenham of the positive cases, and it will make a later announcement regarding Tuesday’s game. It said the stadium and training grounds are closed until further notice.

Testing was conducted after Leyton Orient’s match on Saturday. Those who tested positive will follow government self-isolation guidelines.

”Leyton Orient’s priority is the health and well-being of its players and staff,” the club said in a statement.

Man City said Ilkay Gundogan tested positive for the coronavirus but gave no details of his condition, saying only the Germany midfielder would self-isolate for 10 days based on government protocols.

”Everyone at the club wishes Ilkay a speedy recovery,” said City, which opened its season on Monday against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Two weeks ago, City said Riyad Mahrez and Aymeric Laporte contracted COVID-19.

The Premier League said three people in total tested positive from the 1,574 players and club staff who had COVID-19 checks last week. The league did not disclose any names.

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Right Now

Don't Miss

Community Calendar

KETK Twitter & Facebook

FOX51 Twitter & Facebook