MLB Opening Day is here, and all 30 teams are scheduled to play Thursday. The last time that happened was 1968. The game will be different with the influx of rule changes, but SI has everything you need to prepare for this season.
Breaking down the new rules
- Rules FAQ: Baseball is entering a new era, and Tom Verducci has answers to all of your questions around the pitch clock, shift bans and more. Read
- The robo umps are coming: Once an obscure art, pitch framing has become an essential MLB skill. But, as Emma Baccellieri writes, with robo umps seemingly destined for the big leagues, it is suddenly endangered. Read
- New schedule: Starting this year, teams will play all 29 other teams in the majors at least once per year. We break down how the new schedule works. Read
Team and player previews
- Cover story: Welcome to MLB’s new era: a slew of rule changes and a game that’s quicker, more athletic and way more entertaining. And Tom Verducci writes there is no player faster or more fun than Seattle’s Julio Rodríguez. Read | Buy the issue
- Sports Illustrated’s predictions: With another new season slate comes the hope of a title. From World Series to Cy Young Award winners, SI’s Stephanie Apstein, Emma Baccellieri and Tom Verducci make their predictions. Read
- Division previews: Will the big bats of Aaron Judge and Julio Rodríguez help carry their teams into a deep postseason run? Can any team in the NL West catch the Padres? How much of a slugfest will it be between the Braves, Mets and Phillies in the NL East? SI’s experts predict records for every MLB team. Read
- Turnaround teams: These teams “stunk” last year but could benefit from a 28-year postseason trend. Tom Verducci says they could make the playoffs. Really. Read
- Mookie Betts: The Dodgers star has put in serious time during spring training to be a legit infielder and outfielder for L.A., writes Tom Verducci. Read
MLB 2023 Season FAQ
- Key links: Complete 2023 schedule | Standings
Q: Which team won the 2022 World Series?
A: The Astros beat the Phillies in six games.
Q: When will the MLB playoffs begin this season?
A: The final day of the regular season is Sunday, Oct. 1, 2023. All 30 teams will be in action that day, which will include 10 divisional matchups. The playoffs will begin within a day or two afterward.
Q: When and where is the 2023 All-Star Game?
A: This year’s game will be held at Safeco Field in Seattle on July 11, 2023. The Home Run Derby is July 10, 2023.
Q: What are the other key dates on the 2023 MLB calendar?
A: The MLB World Tour will see teams participate in official games outside of the United States. The Giants and Padres square off in Mexico City on April 29–30, while the Cardinals and Cubs play two games in London on June 24–25.