BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- The 2021 Atlantic hurricane season is reaching its peak and will end November 30, 2021. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has released the 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook predicting an above-average season.
As storms approach the United States, take time this week to prepare your homes, families, and neighbors.
2021 Hurricane Preparedness Tips:
- Make an emergency plan.
- Know flood risks in your area.
- Discuss the latest CDC guidance on COVID-19 and how it may affect your hurricane planning efforts.
- Develop a plan with your household members that outlines what to do, how to find each other, and how to communicate if a hurricane strikes.
- Don’t forget a plan for your pets!
- Restock your emergency supply kit with the necessary items.
- Have a 3 day supply of water and food for each person in your household.
- Include medication, disinfectant supplies, face coverings, personal hygiene items, personal identification, and pet supplies in your kit.
- Make sure your home is prepared.
- Trim or remove damaged trees and limbs.
- Secure loose items and clear gutters.
- Fuel your vehicles, generators, and gas cans. Consider purchasing a portable generator and additional gas cans.
- Check your insurance coverage. Keep a copy with you – paper or electronic.
Stay informed by:
- Following Texas Department of Emergency Management on Facebook & Twitter.
- Latest road conditions from TxDOT.